Since Windows 95, we can use long file names for our Files, Folders and Icons. For instance, if you have a file entitled Workcomp.doc, you can now rename this file to Workers Compensation.doc etc. Therefore, this technical brief and show you how to Rename a File, Folder or Icon to whatever length you choose.
Renaming Files, Folders And Icons
- For demonstration purposes, we will Rename the My Computer icon on your Desktop.
- So let's begin by Minimizing all your programs until only your Desktop is showing.
- Then gently click on the My Computer icon just until it becomes highlighted.
- Now press the F2 key on your Keyboard and notice how you can now edit the name.
- Then type in a new name and click your mouse anywhere on the Desktop to save your changes.
- And that's all there is to it and this will work for all your Folders and Files as well.
Note: This Technical Brief Will Work For All Operating Systems Including Windows XP.