SLIP is an abbreviation for Serial Line Internet Protocol. It is software that allows the Internet Protocol (IP), normally used on Ethernet, to be used over a serial connection line, such as an RS-232 serial port connected to a modem. SLIP modifies a standard Internet datagram by appending a special SLIP END character to it, which allows datagrams to be distinguished separately. SLIP does not provide any error detection, being reliant on other high-layer protocols for this. Therefore, SLIP on its own is not satisfactory over a particularly error-prone dial-up connection. SLIP has been largely replaced by the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), which is better engineered and has more enhanced features.
Amazon Warehouse Deals • Enjoy Deep Discounts
- Deep discounts on open-box items like TVs, laptops, tablets, home audio, home goods and more!
- Every deeply discounted and open-box item is hand-checked and graded!
- Eligible items sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals qualify for Prime or FREE Shipping!
- Amazon Warehouse Deals are backed by Amazon Customer Service!
- All discounted and open-box items are backed by Amazon's 30-Day Return Policy!